Sunday, July 6, 2008

Faith or Feeling?

“We live by faith, not by sight.”   --  2 Corinthians 5:7 (NIV)


One of the most important lessons we can learn in our spiritual journey is to live by faith and not by our feelings.  It is something many folks have a hard time understanding and putting into practice.  Faith over feelings is a critical Kingdom principle.


The focus of our culture is very different.  We are constantly bombarded with the message that feelings are “god.”  The world tells us that, when emotions speak, we are obligated to act.  The result is unnecessary problems and pain.  When feelings are in charge we will always make bad decisions.


Living by faith is a countercultural and counter-intuitive way to live.  It means that we do what God asks us to do, whether we feel like doing it or not.  It involves trusting that obedience to God’s Word, even if it is void of good feelings, brings blessings and positive results.  Conducting ourselves according to this principle is essential to a solid and stable Christian walk.  It is also a key to being used by God.


I think about all the prayers I would have never prayed, sermons I would have never preached, key decisions I would have never made if I had waited until I was “feeling it.”  I also think about the incredible things God has done in my life as a result of choosing to walk by faith and obedience instead of waiting for my emotions to inspire me to act.


Many years ago I saw a little diagram in a booklet that really brought this truth home to me.  If my memory is correct, it was a picture of a train -- an engine, a rail car and a caboose.  The engine was labeled “Faith,” the rail car labeled “Obedience” and the caboose labeled “Feelings.”


The lesson of the diagram was clear.  The power of the Christian life is found in the engine called faith.  Linked to faith is obedience -- doing what God says to do.  Often the last thing to come along for the ride is our feelings.  When we follow our feelings rather than our faith we put the caboose at the front of the train, and the result is no spiritual power or progress.


What is leading your life -- faith or feelings?



Pastor Dale