Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mouth Check

A couple of days ago, as I was getting ready to head to the church office, I felt the gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit in my heart.  It was one of those moments when I realized that He wanted to talk to me about something, or more specifically, to correct me about something.


In the quietness of this early morning encounter, the Lord reminded me of a statement I had made to someone the day before -- a little comment that grieved the Lord.  It really didn’t surprise me that He was bringing this to my attention.  Although it was now about 12 hours past the event, I remembered feeling a twinge of conviction when I said it.  However, because of the flow and fast-paced nature of the interaction at that moment, I had moved on without acknowledging or dealing with my comment immediately.


I had not said something profane, impure, irreverent or even unkind.  I had not gossiped about someone.  But I did make a quick comment that was insensitive and self-focused.  And now, half a day later, God was bringing it back to my attention.  It was something He was not willing to let slide.  And I am grateful for His persistence.


As the Holy Spirit reminded me of my words, I felt the sting of Holy Spirit conviction in my heart.  I felt sorrow as I saw myself and viewed my comment from God’s perspective.  In that moment I asked the Lord for His forgiveness.  I also asked Him for the grace and power to be more careful with my words.


The Bible has a lot to say to us about our words.  Here are some Bible verses that I reflected on following this event that are great reminders to all of us:


“A truly wise person uses few words ...” -- Proverbs 17:27 (NLT)


“We all make many mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way.”  -- James 3:2 (NLT)


And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself. -- James 3:6 (NLT)


When was the last time God showed up in your life and talked to you about your talk?  I am glad that He is committed to helping us tame our tongue!


Pastor Dale