Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lessons From The Stairs

A week or so ago my wife and I babysat our 18 month old grandson Elijah at our home.  Over the last few months he had discovered our staircase.  On this particular evening the stairs became his preoccupation.  Repeatedly and tirelessly he went up and down the steps on his hands, knees and bottom, celebrating his successes with enthusiastic hand clapping and gibberish with the completion of each round.


What he didn’t realize was that his successes were dependent on me guarding and guiding him in the process.  Without me present, his ascents and descents would have been dangerous and perhaps even disastrous.  But because I was there with him, intervening when his safety required it, he gained confidence and skills, and experienced the joy of achievement.  I helped make his successes possible.  He thought it was all him, but I was his silent, secret partner; his loving helper.  We did the stairs together, but he enjoyed and celebrated the triumphs.


There are some lessons for us from my stair experience with Elijah.


Whatever is happening in your life right now, remember that God is with you, surrounding and supporting you, guiding and guarding you, making your way successful.  Know that, even when you cannot see Him or feel Him, He is present.  He is your Partner, your Helper –– the One who is behind your successes –– the source of your triumphs!


Pastor Dale