Monday, May 12, 2008

Valuables and Assets

What is valuable to you?  What are your greatest assets?


A “valuable” is something we consider to have great worth -- something we highly esteem and seek to protect, something we give top priority to and hold as extremely important.


An “asset” is a resource for meeting needs or accomplishing goals.  The word comes from an old French term which means “enough or satisfied.”  Based on this definition, an asset is something that gives us a sense of security and satisfaction about our life.  It is something that gives us meaning and worth.  It is something we hold on to for identity -- the thing or things that make us feel like we are “enough.”


Many people think of valuables and assets as “stuff” -- the material things they possess, their net worth on a balance sheet, their jewelry, automobiles, antiques or collectibles.  The security and self-worth of many folks are built on these temporal things.  Sadly and ironically, when this is our mindset we live with a nagging drive to get more -- enough stuff is never enough to completely secure and satisfy us.


The really valuable things in life are not things at all.  Our real assets are not material or measurable on a balance sheet.  The most valuable things in life and the greatest assets in life are relationships -- our relationship with God and our relationships with people.


When I think of what is really valuable to me, when I measure the real assets of my life, I first think of Jesus and my personal relationship with Him.  I think of my wonderful wife and family.  I think of my church family and the friends God has given me.  These relationships are what make my life truly secure and satisfying.


When Paul wrote a letter to his fellow believers in the church at Philippi, he was a Roman prisoner, incarcerated for preaching the Gospel.  When all material things had been stripped from him we see what he truly valued -- what he considered to be his real assets.  Listen to what he said to his friends:


Philippians 1:7, 8 (NLT)  “It is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a very special place in my heart. We have shared together the blessings of God, both when I was in prison and when I was out, defending the truth and telling others the Good News.  God knows how much I love you and long for you with the tender compassion of Christ Jesus.


Paul knew that life is all about relationships -- our relationship with God and others.


Take some time this week to let the people you value know how much you love and appreciate them.  Write an encouraging note, send an affirming email, make an appreciative phone call.  Join me in celebrating our most valuable asset -- relationships!


Pastor Dale